What can Ontario taxpayers learn from the following two headline-grabbing issues?
- Toronto’s Sheppard Subway Extension Proposal
- Brantford’s Saga of the South Side of Colborne Street, the latest installment: Laurier/Y Proposal
These are examples of how Ontario city governments suffer from dysfunction and mismanagement. The result is an inefficient use of taxpayers’ dollars and lost opportunity.
In part, this reality stems from a lack of clarity in the relationships between the federal, provincial and municipal governments.
- Overhaul the Ontario Municipal Act based on a broad consultation with Ontarians and all levels of government
- Make referendums mandatory for decisions beyond the day-to-day functioning of a municipality
- Enforce the Ontario Municipal Act
- Abolish or overhaul the Ontario Municipal Board
Trumping Trudeau: How Donald Trump will change Canada even if Justin Trudeau doesn't know it yet