Our astute readers ask thought provoking questions and give good answers. For example, a reader asks: How can a city get new businesses to takeover vacant properties?
Here are some of your suggestions:
- No property tax for six months.
- No charge for utilities for six months.
- Infrastructure upgrades, e.g., road, sewer, signage and traffic signals, that enhance the property.
- The city’s economic development dept. and the local chamber of commerce could play the role of “matchmaker.” How? Give compelling reasons to a particular business or organization why a vacant property may be a good fit. A fit that is consistent with the citizen-approved City Master Plan.
- A statute that prohibits the expansion of a municipality if there are derelict, underused, misused or abandoned properties within its boundary.
Do you have anything to add to the list?
*Fiddler on the Roof (1964), Music by Gerry Bock, Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick.
Trumping Trudeau: How Donald Trump will change Canada even if Justin Trudeau doesn't know it yet